Tuesday, April 10, 2012

That little beating heart

Our first OB visit was yesterday and everything was great. We had to wait a bit to see him (per the usual) and then we were there for three hours! Peed in a cup, bloodwork, got an exam, a cervix check, and an ultrasound to check on the Gobbler. Baby is still doing fine. Was measuring at 8 weeks, 6 days (I was 8 weeks, 4 days) and a heartbeat of 176 bpm. We got a 3D shot of it and it is starting to look a little more like a baby. Every time I see that little beating heart, I just melt. It's so damn cute flickering on that screen pumping so fast. And I just think, that's our baby in there! Which puts me at ease that this pregnancy is real and happening.

The doctor did a great job answering all of our questions. I'm still on restriction to no working out, sex or heavy lifting and although I am off of all the hormones from IVF, I still need to take the baby aspirin. But I should hopefully be fine after the first trimester. I was up about 2 pounds since I was there in November and through my many questions and concerns, I am going to start seeing a nutritionist to keep my weight gain to a minimum. The doc and I both agreed I should not gain more than 10-20 pounds more.

We go back in two and a half weeks for another ultrasound and the MaterniT21plus test which basically is a new kind of blood test they use for Downs (Trisomy 21, 18 and 13). At 36, I am right on the curve where the risk goes up for Downs so we figured this blood test will let us know what our true risk is. I am definitely ruling out having an amniocentesis. It's just not worth the risk.

I did have a little spotting after we went to the doctor which stopped about 2-3 hours after. I wasn't panicked I just figured it was because of the cervix check. But the doctor forgot to mention that and J and I looked it up online. I was fine this morning too so I am sure that it what it was.

So that's it. I have therapy today which should be interesting. I haven't been for about three weeks because of vacation so I am sure I have plenty to talk about. But maybe not. I've just been so happy, content and calm but at the same time kind of to myself. I am just kind of in a weird place not knowing really what to do myself. I think maybe the tiredness is making me feel so weird and that next trimester I begin to feel like myself again. Well at least I hope.


9 comments:

  1. yay for continued good news!!

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a visit and strong heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that little flicker on screen- it always makes me feel better too :) SO happy things are on track for you!! You are gonna make a great mommy soon!!! :) It goes by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading your blog. Congrats on a great u/s. I hope the pregnancy continues to go smoothly. My husband and I also did IVF with TESE and I am now almost 20 weeks pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad things are going well. The first trimester is the scariest. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic that your appt went so well... and so magical to see their little heartbeat :)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got to see the beautiful little heart beating again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad everything is going well! You deserve all this happiness/calm :)

    ReplyDelete